Monday, July 31, 2017

The Devil Needs His Share

"If this isn't heaven...I don't know what is."
--JR Ward, The Devil's Cut

My Thoughts
When it comes to JR Ward this woman can do no wrong in terms of her writing and books. I have yet to meet a Ward book I do not fall head over heels in love with...The Devil's Cut is no exception. I was nervous to start this because I have come to love these unlikeable characters and root for them so hard that if they all didn't end up in a happy place after so much pain and turmoil, I would be so sad. I wanted a satisfying conclusion to this series...but what I got was so much more.
There are so many moving parts within this series that I found it so incredibly impressive that JR Ward was able to tie up all the loose ends without feeling rushed or too easy. I'll not spoil anything about the plot because it's the final book but I will tell you this; fans of this series will not be disappointed. The plot continues to shock you and conflict still arises with the future of the Bradford Bourbon Company in the balance. I loved seeing Lane work with Jeff and Mac trying to find a solution to save the company. I loved that it took time and work to discover what could save it and if those sacrifices were worth it. That's all I can say about that but I LOVED how it all came together.

The writing continues to impress me beyond words. By definition, this book does not yell any element that would interest me but JR Ward takes characters in an elite class of wealth and makes me love them when normally I stay away from celebrity, billionaire, and royalty-esque plots. These characters all have their own personal demons and lash out at inappropriate times and you want to throttle them...but weirdly, that's what makes me love them. I love this unlikeable clan of misfit toys. And with this book we finally get to see some much-needed redemption. I have oddly loved Gin since the first book and her character arc is hands down my favorite. I looked forward to each and every one of her chapters and I could not have asked for a better ending for her.

The other characters stories are not slouches, either. I still enjoy seeing Lane and Lizzie tackle problems together. I love that they work together but also appreciate that they know each other's strengths and limits and how to also step back when they need to. Sutton and Edward--Edward, my heart!!!!--have their moments as well. I was happily surprised with the interactions between these two. I wasn't sure how things would end up but...yeah, just read it.

The twists and conclusion surprised me in the best way. Ward still had quite a few secrets and tricks up her sleeve and I was happy to see a few things that I didn't even think a possibility. This series captures the beauty and tradition of the South and I loved every second spent here. And anybody rooting against University of Kentucky will also find a kindred spirit in these characters and these books.

VIP
If you love Southern charm, dramatic families, and satisfying endings...this book is for you.

Genre: Adult Contemporary
Publisher: Ballantine
Pages: 432
Publication Date: August 1st, 2017
Source: ARC provided by publisher
Find on: Goodreads | Amazon
Previous Books in Series: The Bourbon Kings & The Angel's Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...